Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New vintage patterns

I am moving, so Idon't have access to a machine right now. I am knitting to feed the itch.

However, I did just acquire a new stash of vintage sewing patterns from a friend who was cleaning out his parents storage, found these patterns, and thought of me. Stoked!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Haircut

I got a haircut! I had it chopped off into a blog. I was excited about experimenting with braids and pincurled vintage dos with my long hair, but there is no point in having long hair if it isn't in good condition. I had my hair cut previously by a not-so professional, and they used a razor on my dry hair and it left my ends stringy and damaged. I haven't had my hair this short in 4 years or so. I like it, but I don't love it.

Haircut: $35 from Roxanne at O Salon in Montreal, Quebec (the first time I have paid for a haircut in several years)
Vintage Floral Shirt: $1 from Battery Street Jeans Exchange in Burlington, Vermont

Monday, April 13, 2009

JJ Ruffle Blouse: Burdstyle 6009

Pattern Description:
This pattern is for a short sleeve blouse with ruffles on the chest and a stand up collar.

Pattern Sizing:

Standard Burdastyle sizes, I used size 38.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes! All that and more.

Were the instructions e
asy to follow?
There were a few parts that I read several times over before I got them, but that may have been because they were newer techniques to me. Overall, the pattern was pretty straightforward. The hardest part for me to understand was inserting the sleeve slits.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I like that the ruffles and the stand up collar give the shirt a refined look, but they aren't complicated to install. I like that the shirt has princess seams - I find it really straightforward to make fit alterations.

Fabric Used:

Plaid cotton. I was concerned about issues with matching due to the plaid, but a) the matching wasn't such an issue with this pattern or the multi-color plaid and b) with a little intention during cutting it wasn't difficult to match the pattern.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:

I had to make my usual 1 inch reduction of the shoulder width. I also took the back in about 2 inches total through the mid-back. At first I took the back in from the shoulder blades all the way down, but it became to tight as it draped over my behind, so I let out the bottom fabric I had taken in.

Original pattern image

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes! I want more shirts in this style. Highly recommended.


I found this pattern easy to follow, and I am happy with the style. It can be dressed down with jeans, or dressed up for work with slacks or a skirt. I think that the style seems refined, and like something you could pick up at a boutique (My roommate has one just like it that is vintage. I have always coveted it, and now I have my own custom made one!).

Saturday, April 11, 2009

What to do with my vintage Valentino blazer?

So I thrifted this blazer from Salvation Army for $10. It is too big for me in the shoulders, but I knew that it could be worth some money so I got it. It is Valentino, vintage and in great condition. The extra buttons are still attached inside. I don't know when the jacket was made, but it looks like an 80s style?

I suppose this is how many people got into selling vintage clothing: you see something at the thrift store that you know someone would want, but it doesn't fit you!

Any advice how much it is worth or where/how I could sell it?

It has great detailing with bright colored lining behind the collar, button binding, and cuffs. (Detail pictures below)

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Style 1828

I created this skirt to wear to the Down East Country Dance Festival in Topsham, Maine.

The skirt was a success. I got many compliments on it, and the swirl factor is ideal! I shortened the length from the pattern to knee length. The only other adjustment I had to make was to make the waist a little wider because it was a size 10. I love the two gathers in the front and in the back. I used waistband interfacing for the first time, and it really did make the process a lot easier.

Butterick 6624

"Semi-fitted, partially lined, wrap top has short sleeves, tie ends and peplum."

I almost trashed this project several times. My original version I edited a lot in order to get the correct fit. By the time I had added all of the necessary adjustments, the bodice was junky. So I took it apart, and used that as the muslin/pattern for a new bodice. I didn't have the right size black fabric anymore, so I used a contrast floral print for the back bodice.

I like the way it turned out, although everything isn't perfect. I took in the shoulders, but due to the fabric stiffness and the higher sit of the sleeve, the sleeves don't fall like they are supposed to. All in all, definitely wearable.