Monday, April 13, 2009

JJ Ruffle Blouse: Burdstyle 6009



Pattern Description:
This pattern is for a short sleeve blouse with ruffles on the chest and a stand up collar.

Pattern Sizing:

Standard Burdastyle sizes, I used size 38.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes! All that and more.

Were the instructions e
asy to follow?
There were a few parts that I read several times over before I got them, but that may have been because they were newer techniques to me. Overall, the pattern was pretty straightforward. The hardest part for me to understand was inserting the sleeve slits.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I like that the ruffles and the stand up collar give the shirt a refined look, but they aren't complicated to install. I like that the shirt has princess seams - I find it really straightforward to make fit alterations.

Fabric Used:

Plaid cotton. I was concerned about issues with matching due to the plaid, but a) the matching wasn't such an issue with this pattern or the multi-color plaid and b) with a little intention during cutting it wasn't difficult to match the pattern.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:

I had to make my usual 1 inch reduction of the shoulder width. I also took the back in about 2 inches total through the mid-back. At first I took the back in from the shoulder blades all the way down, but it became to tight as it draped over my behind, so I let out the bottom fabric I had taken in.

Original pattern image


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes! I want more shirts in this style. Highly recommended.

Conclusion:

I found this pattern easy to follow, and I am happy with the style. It can be dressed down with jeans, or dressed up for work with slacks or a skirt. I think that the style seems refined, and like something you could pick up at a boutique (My roommate has one just like it that is vintage. I have always coveted it, and now I have my own custom made one!).

No comments:

Post a Comment