Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lets start at the very beginning...

...a very good place to start.

So I'm not going to start at the VERY beginning. Mostly I am just going to start with my oldest project that I have documented. But a little blurb about my start in sewing is perhaps appropriate. My mother is a crafter, and she worked as a seamstress for many years. Although she would know better, she began teaching me to sew I believe when I was 6 or 7, as well as teaching me how to crochet. I sewed dolls and stuffed animals, and crocheted doll clothes. When I was 8 (?) I sewed the needle through my thumb and got turned off from sewing for a few years. I have sewed off and on since I was in late elementary school, usually without a pattern. In the last few years I have started sewing with patterns and was astounded and joyful with the success I found in creating things I liked. I find that my years of working without patterns taught me how to change what I didn't like, so I find it easy to adapt patterns. However, I am still working on fitting things just right.

I would like to take some classes on finishing techniques, fitting, and pattern making, among many things. I have never taken a sewing course.

Now, where I was going to start was a picture of a shirt that I refashioned last year in Albany. I was inspired by my roommate's art projects to get back into creating.
Here is a picture of the hoody: purple sweatshirt free from the now defunct Capitol District Federation of Ideas, white sweatshirt from same place, screen print from the Albany Free School


I took the purple sweatshirt, then added a screenprinted white hood and a matching kangaroo pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment